In the past, low calorie food was also low in taste, but that doesn’t need to be the case. This recipe for Jerk Chicken uses authentic flavours and adds additional vegetables to give you a filling, but not fattening meal.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 x Chicken Breasts – skinless
- 1 x onion
- 1 x clove garlic
- 1 x red pepper
- handful of mushrooms
- Jerk Seasoning
- pinch salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 x tablespoons olive oil
- Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Heat your oven to 180C
- Add boiling water to your rice, bring it back to the boil and then allow to simmer while you prepare the rest of the meal
- Slice the chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes, and put in a bowl with the minced garlic, a table spoon of olive oil, and coat with jerk seasoning.
- Roughly chop your pepper, onion, and mushrooms ready for cooking
- Heat up a frying pan, and add a half a tablespoon of olive oil. When the pan is hot, add in your chicken and seasoning, and cook briefly to brown the chicken.
- Move the chicken into the oven in a large baking tray and drip on some sweet chilli sauce to glaze the chicken
- Put the remaining oil into the pan and add the peppers, onions, and stir fry for about 3 minutes until the onions are starting to cook.
- Put the vegetables into the oven alongside your chicken, and continue cooking for about 10-15 minutes while your rice cooks.
- Drain the rice and serve.
Approx 440 calories / person